If ex-spouses fail to pay lump sums or maintenance as ordered by the Court, the remedies are currently very limited. A wife can currently ask for her ex-husband to be committed to prison, although the burden of proof for this is high and is often not relied upon in practice. 

Reform has been called for and potential plans for change could see ex-spouses who continue to flout the terms of financial Orders facing driving and travel bans until they have made the necessary payments.