If both parents can agree to a name change, changing a child's name is relatively straight forward. 

If both parents have parental responsibility and cannot agree on a change of name, then one parent cannot make the unilateral decision to change a child's name. 

If an agreement cannot be reached and one party is adamant that a child's name should be changed, an application to the Court for a Specific Issue Order should be made. 

The mother in a recent case was successful on the basis that the child's middle name was the same as an infamous public figure which, she said, gave it negative connotations. 

If you would like further information regarding changing your child's name, please contact me. 

e: emilyh@inspirefamily.co.uk

t: 01722 446246