With the Christmas break coming up, some parents will opt to go abroad for Christmas or New Year. 

If you are taking your children abroad, you need permission from all those who hold Parental Responsibility. 

If there is a Child Arrangements Order in place recording that the child lives with one party, then that party can take the child abroad for 28 days without needing permission. 

As can be seen from this article, Border Controls can be cautious when parents are travelling with children, especially if they have a different surname. 

It is always advisable to take additional documentation when travelling abroad with children such as Court Orders, written consent from those with Parental Responsibility or copy Decree Absolutes. 

If you have any doubt about your legal rights and would like some more information, please get in touch with me. 

e: emilyh@inspirefamily.co.uk

t: 01722 446246